[OpenLayers-Users] Question regarding projection

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Feb 1 19:39:49 EST 2007

On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 11:30:58AM +1100, Glen Stampoultzis wrote:
> I have an issue that I'm having trouble figuring out how to solve.
>
> I'm stuck with a map server that uses a projection that changes depending on
> your current lon/lat.  When you make a map request for a particular bounding
> box it actually gives you back an adjusted bounding box.  How much depends
> on you're current zoom level and latitude.
>
> This prevents the use of the tiling option since the map can not be aligned
> in a nice need flat grid.  I was hoping I could use it in untiled mode
> however the fact that the map returned is different from the map expected
> still causes a number of issues.  I was thinking I might be able to use a
> custom projection but so for it's been difficult to deal with this since we
> have variations as we travel up and down latitude and zoom level.
>
> Anyone got some ideas how I can deal with this?

Unfortunately, OpenLayers assumes through and through that the map can
be treated as a flat plane, and that units are linear as you move
through the plane that the map controls. I can't say that I expect that
you will be able to do much useful with a mapserver which can't
accomodate for this situation.

Depending on exactly how the map server in question returns data, you
might be able to do untiled with a post-load movement of the tile to the
place where the data is *actually* coming from... maybe. It's definitely
nothing like what I would call 'trivial', and it might be hard to
support going forward.

I wish I had a good answer, but unfortunately, all I have is the honest
one -- you may be out of luck.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta