[OpenLayers-Users] Mapping website visitors with OpenLayers?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Feb 8 15:01:32 EST 2007

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 07:18:08PM +0000, Alexandre Leroux wrote:

> Hi Christopher,
>
> I understand what you're telling me.
>
> My hope was/is that in the future, OpenLayers would be able to generate
> a static image from numerous points from a text file. This would be
> similar to generating a WMS layer directly with OpenLayers. I'm not sure
> this is possible or if it should even be included in OpenLayers' long
> term objectives.

I see.

It's possible that doing this with a Canvas
object would be possible. A canvas is a single DOM element, so dragging
it does not suffer under the same limitations as a marker-based solution
would. I don't have any personal interest in investigating this, but
it's certainly a possibility.

However, note that Canvas does not offer a way to easily capture events
on a single object in the canvas, so this might not be worth
investigating depending on your use case.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta