[OpenLayers-Users] Scale Control rounding low-valued scales

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Sun Feb 18 08:16:43 EST 2007

Stuart Eve posted ticket 503 this morning:
  OpenLayers.Control.Scale doesn't seem to read correct scale below 1:500

The problem is that any scale value less than 9500 is rounded to the
nearest hundred. It's clear to me that rounding to the nearest hundred
is not really neccesary: the numbers displayed will be the same length
whether they are or aren't (or close to it, anyway).

However, Stuart points out that he needs 'centimetre accuracy'. Ignoring
the fact that the browser is probably not the best environment for
centimetre accuracy, I'm wondering what scale level we need to support
down to: Is rounding the scale to the nearest integer enough accuracy?
I'd obviously say yes, but I work on scales of 1:443M, not on scales of
1:100.

Can someone educate me: what do users expect when they set a scales
array of:
  [105, 10.5, 1.05]
?

Stuart, I suppose this is directed mostly at you, since you're the one
who opened the bug report.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta