[OpenLayers-Users] General Questions

Robert J Becraft castlewrks at hughes.net
Mon Feb 19 14:54:00 EST 2007

I am trying to use the OpenLayers code on my own web pages, but I have
encountered a number of anomolies that I cannot address without
assistance.

1) I have successfully placed the latitude/longitude display on my map.
However, the example I used to do this causes it to appear in the lower
right hand corner of the map.  I cannot determine why this happens in
the example, and cannot get mine to replicate that location for this
display.  It will only appear in the upper left-hand corner and
conflicts with the directional graphics there.

2) I need to know "how" to include a tiled image of my personal maps to
the code.  All the examples go to map servers that provide that option
for the images.  None of the examples show how to include a set of tiled
images that I've created.  I am hoping that I do not have to create a
map server to do this.

3) Some of the examples create a map from a pre-determined location on
Earth.  Is there a way of defining a new world?  For example if one
wanted to use OpenLayers to map Mars or the Moon, how would you define
the latitude/longitude orientation of the maps?

4) After zooming in on my primary map, it pixelizes and becomes
unreadable.  How do you transition from the primary layer to a new layer
that has higher detail at that zoom level?  A map-server would do this
automatically for you.  However, all my maps are generated by me and as
in #2, I don't want to have to set up a map server to do this.

5) One anomoly I encountered concerned the box tool and the pan tool.
Using the published 2.2 code, and clicking on the box tool, when
dragging across the map had both active.  I used the 2.3 code and it
appears that a fix is included in that.  HOWEVER, the examples all have
this bug fixed and do not exhibit this problem leading me to believe
that the code they are using isn't 2.2 code like they indicate.

6) Is it possible to include a layer on the map that contains hot-spots?
Can hot-spots be added to a map layer?

7) I added labels to my map by creating a gif layer that has a
transparent background.  Is it possible to add text labels to
objects/locations on the map to do this in a scalable fashion?

8) In order to get my image to load, I have to access the image through
an http reference and am running WAMP to serve up the image.  Is it
possible to code the layer reference to get a graphic from the root or
sub-directory?

Thanks,

Robert J Becraft