[OpenLayers-Users] layer on top of google maps stretched

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Jan 11 07:30:50 EST 2007

On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 01:24:02PM +0100, Tore Halset wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I am drawing a wms (transparent png) on top of google maps in
> openlayers. Openlayers use EPSG:4326 in the WMS request and stretch
> the returned image to fit pretty well. Circles in the WMS layer are
> stretched more and more as I navigate to the North of equator.
>
> Is it possible to specify a projection for the WMS-layer that will
> reduce the stretching?

OpenLayers does not currently have the capability you are looking for.
(Essentially, this would require having a map in two different
projections, which is both difficult technically and more complex than
just making it work for Google.)

This functionality is something that I would like to see at some point,
but it's non-trivial implementation, and implementing it in a way that
is:
 * Generally useful
 * Doens't hurt the general case

is kind of hard.