[OpenLayers-Users] GeoRSS and layers

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Jan 15 15:24:28 EST 2007

On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 08:08:58PM +0000, Jon Blower wrote:
> Hi Christopher,
>
> >Rather than making something up and supporting it in OpenLayers, I would
> >like to see a general consensus on what is 'acceptable'. Personally, I
> >would rather see reuse of the KML specification's visualization
> >techniques, which I would be happy to support in OpenLayers.
>
> I would strongly support the idea of supporting KML in OpenLayers,
> particularly now that Google are standardising KML through OGC.  It would
> potentially open up a very large number of datasets for visualisation in
> OL.  I might even be able to contribute some development effort to this...

Note that the discussion of "KML support in OpenLayers" and "KML style
descriptions for describing content in GeoRSS" are not directly tied
together. KML support is on the bug list for OpenLayers, and has been
for a long time, but to implement a useful subset of KML really requires
support for vectors in OpenLayers, which won't be included until the
Vector sandbox is integrated into OpenLayers core.

So, "KML in OpenLayers" is planned, but no date is set. "Visualization
in GeoRSS" is the question at hand.

If you want to speed up the former, I recommend getting involved with
the Vector branch development. The rendering code is starting to get pretty
solid: what's needed now is someone to champion the integration with
trunk, which means patches, tests, documentation, etc.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta