[OpenLayers-Users] GeoRSS and layers

Jon Blower jdb at mail.nerc-essc.ac.uk
Mon Jan 15 15:08:58 EST 2007

Hi Christopher,

> Rather than making something up and supporting it in OpenLayers, I would
> like to see a general consensus on what is 'acceptable'. Personally, I
> would rather see reuse of the KML specification's visualization
> techniques, which I would be happy to support in OpenLayers.

I would strongly support the idea of supporting KML in OpenLayers,
particularly now that Google are standardising KML through OGC.  It would
potentially open up a very large number of datasets for visualisation in
OL.  I might even be able to contribute some development effort to this...

Best wishes,
Jon

On 1/15/07, Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt at metacarta.com> wrote:

> [...]
> geoRSS
> > javascript file load all items in one layer.
> >
> > Do you have any ideas to modify the georss.js file to load one layer for
> each
> > channel nodes ?
>
> Multiple channels in one RSS file is, as far as I'm aware, a violation
> of the RSS specification. If you can point to a place where this type of
> behavior is defined, we can investigate adding support for it.
>
> If I were to implement it, I would probably simply add multiple layers,
> one for each channel (and having multiple files to contain that data).
> Is there a reason that doesn't work for you?
>

> > Furthermore, do you know if it is "possible" to add an icon tags for
> example
> > to modify icons for each item ? I modified my georss.xml response to get
> > something like :
> > <item>
> >    <title>titre</title>
> >    <link>link</link>
> >    <description>Some description</description>
> >    <geo:lat>48</geo:lat>
> >    <geo:long>2</geo:long>
> >    <icons>points.png</icons>
> > </item>
>
> This type of definitions is a misuse of the RSS format -- adding new
> terms should be done in a seperate namespace. At the moment, there is no
> standardized mechanism for describing visualization of GeoRSS data.
>
> Rather than making something up and supporting it in OpenLayers, I would
> like to see a general consensus on what is 'acceptable'. Personally, I
> would rather see reuse of the KML specification's visualization
> techniques, which I would be happy to support in OpenLayers. If a
> general consensus is reached -- or even if a specification is created
> and documented, such that future users can look up how to include
> styling/visualization information into their GeoRSS feed by looking at a
> web page -- I would be much more comfortable than with an ad-hoc
> implementation.
>
> > And copy-paste the part where icon is loaded from the test.js file. Does
> > GeoRSS allow to add its own tag ?
>
> There is no GeoRSS support for changing the markers built into the core.
> You can change the *default* Marker for OpenLayers, by modifying the
> defaultIcon variable, similar to the code at the end of Marker.js:
>

> http://trac.openlayers.org/browser/trunk/openlayers/lib/OpenLayers/Marker.js#L126
>
> but I assume you want different icons per-location, which would require
> support in OpenLayers that we do not currently provide.
>
> I'm CCing this message to the GeoRSS list,
> http://lists.eogeo.org/mailman/listinfo/georss , as discussion on this
> topic is wider than the implementation in OpenLayers: The two issues at
> hand are whether GeoRSS supports multiple channels per file, and whether
> there is a standard definition for describing styling information for a
> feature. If a consensus is reached, I will bring the conversation back

Dr Jon Blower              Tel: +44 118 378 5213 (direct line)
Technical Director         Tel: +44 118 378 8741 (ESSC)
Reading e-Science Centre   Fax: +44 118 378 6413
ESSC                       Email: jdb at mail.nerc-essc.ac.uk
University of Reading
3 Earley Gate
Reading RG6 6AL, UK