[OpenLayers-Users] KML beomg standardized?

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Fri Jan 19 13:19:14 EST 2007

Jon Blower wrote:
>  > where did you get the OGC / Google Cooperative effort?
> It was announced recently - can't remember where now but a Google search
> on KML and OGC should produce results.

Yes, the main Google guys attended the last OGC meeting.

>>  They need to ditch there own schema concept and go with a standard xml
>>  schema...
> It's my understanding that they will release a schema in due course (I
> don't think there's a KML schema at all at the moment is there?).
There have been a few unofficial schemas floating around.

> schema would definitely be useful for developers, provided it's properly
> constructed.  The GML schema is very complex and, because it's
> aggregated other documents, you can't easily do things like
> automatically create Java classes from it (as far as I know) - so its
> practical use for tooling is a bit limited.
With Simple Features for GML you finally can
http://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=15201 /
http://schemas.opengis.net/gml/3.1.1/profiles/gmlsfProfile/1.0.0/ They
should have released it when they put out gml 3.1.1 in the first place.

Note that implementing _reading_ KML with all the styling, is actually
quite difficult.  I've talked to people who have had to do it and it's
definitely tricky.  Partially because there is no schema, so you have to
parse most any order.

But just reading the geometries is pretty easy - though it should be
noted that geometries are based almost completely on GML 2.1.2

Producing KML is easy, since you can put it in any which order.

Chris