[OpenLayers-Users] KML beomg standardized?

Jon Blower jdb at mail.nerc-essc.ac.uk
Fri Jan 19 02:27:06 EST 2007

> where did you get the OGC / Google Cooperative effort?
It was announced recently - can't remember where now but a Google search on
KML and OGC should produce results.

> They need to ditch there own schema concept and go with a standard xml
> schema...
It's my understanding that they will release a schema in due course (I don't
think there's a KML schema at all at the moment is there?).  A schema would
definitely be useful for developers, provided it's properly constructed.
The GML schema is very complex and, because it's aggregated other documents,
you can't easily do things like automatically create Java classes from it
(as far as I know) - so its practical use for tooling is a bit limited.

> Speaking only for myself, I'm much more likely to support KML than any
> other XML geographic format.  I am wholly in favor of supporting KML in
> OpenLayers, regardless of what Google does with it from here on out.
> It's well-understood, it's simple, and it works.
I agree!  It would be a disaster if KML became much more complicated - there
are so many datasets popping up in KML because it's simple.  BTW, I've heard
talk of KML "profiles": for example, certain KML constructs are meaningless
in a 2-D environment like Google Maps and OpenLayers, so there might be a
profile for 2-D apps that misses some features out.  I'm not sure whether
(and when) this would happen though.

Regards,
Jon

On 1/19/07, Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt at metacarta.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 06:08:12PM -0600, Lance Dyas wrote:
> > Jon Blower wrote:
> > >

> > > I would strongly support the idea of supporting KML in OpenLayers,
> > > particularly now that Google are standardising KML through OGC.
> > They need to ditch there own schema concept and go with a standard xml
> > schema...
>
> Speaking only for myself, I'm much more likely to support KML than any
> other XML geographic format.  I am wholly in favor of supporting KML in
> OpenLayers, regardless of what Google does with it from here on out.
> It's well-understood, it's simple, and it works.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Christopher Schmidt
> MetaCarta

Dr Jon Blower              Tel: +44 118 378 5213 (direct line)
Technical Director         Tel: +44 118 378 8741 (ESSC)
Reading e-Science Centre   Fax: +44 118 378 6413
ESSC                       Email: jdb at mail.nerc-essc.ac.uk
University of Reading
3 Earley Gate
Reading RG6 6AL, UK