[OpenLayers-Users] Openlayers proxy solutions

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Mar 6 17:23:35 EST 2007

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 12:12:26AM +0530, Mifan Careem wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm Mifan, a newbie to this list. I work for Sahana
> (http://sahana.lk/) ,the FOSS disaster management system. We have a
> comprehensive plan of integrating OpenLayers into Sahana, and OL is at
> the forefront as the client mapping interface. A draft roadmap of GIS
> integration, initiated by David Bitner is here:
> http://wiki.sahana.lk/doku.php?id=dev:gis_infra
>
> I was looking through the archives for solutions to the Javascript proxy
> problem, and the use of the proxy cgi script. However, there might be
> restrictions on what we can use on the server side of Sahana, and I was
> wondering whether going with a cgi-bin enabled apache, along with a
> proxy script in python is the best solution, as this increases the
> requirements during a disaster. What would be the best way to get
> GeoRSS/WFS to work on OL, with minimum server side requirement needs?
>
> Of the other solutions, mod_rewrite functionality of Apache is also
> another specific requirement. And I guess digitally signed scripts are
> out of the question.
>
> So, what do you suggest to be the best way to bypass the JS proxy
> problem, with special consideration on times of a disaster, where too
> many restriction cannot be placed on the administrator..?

Keep all your data on the server. Done. :)

You've outlined all the issues with each of the solutions. The problem
is well documented, and we've got a set of best practices.
Unfortunately, if you need to access data from a remote server, your
options are exactly as you've outlined them, and there is no 'magic
bullet' that makes one solution easier than another.

The one that is best for you will be the one that you evaluate from the
list you described above and find to work best.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta