[OpenLayers-Users] Overlays with google maps

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri Mar 9 22:40:24 EST 2007

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 10:57:44AM -0800, Graham Davis wrote:
> Chris,
>
> Does this mean that I can't use a Kamap layer to overlay tiles on a
> Google maps base layer?  Is a WMS layer the only layer type that
> Openlayers can overlay ontop of a Google map?

Yes.

I don't know if it's possible to change the design to support other
things. I'm glad to have people evaluate it. The 'reproject' switch that
is in SVN is *not* actual reprojecting: instead, it simply stretches the
tiles to request whatever the base map says is the correct tile to use
for that location. For Google (for reasons I don't really understand)
this is non-deterministic: If you set a different center, the tiles draw
differently.

The functionality you want doesn't exist for layers which don't accept
arbitrary bounding boxes at the moment.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta