[OpenLayers-Users] Overlays with google maps

Jon Blower jdb at mail.nerc-essc.ac.uk
Mon Mar 12 07:48:55 EDT 2007

Hi Chris,

I'm afraid still haven't quite understood how OL can be used to
overlay layers (e.g. WMS) on top of Google Maps images (also, the
example page http://www.openlayers.org/dev/examples/google.html
doesn't work for me in Firefox 1.5: it comes up with an error "'$' is
not defined" in line 25 of google.html).

In this post you said "For Google (for reasons I don't really
understand) this is non-deterministic: If you set a different center,
the tiles draw differently."  I don't understand what this means.
Google Maps are in a straight Mercator projection (not modified in any
way, as far as I can tell) so I can't see what's non-deterministic
about it.  Also, I don't understand how simply stretching the tiles on
the client will work - Mercator projection is not a linear stretch of
a lat-lon (Plate Carree) projection.

Perhaps I've misunderstood something, or perhaps this is related to
the issues I bored this list about recently concerning how the
Mercator projection is constructed. ;-)

Regards, Jon

On 3/10/07, Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt at metacarta.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 10:57:44AM -0800, Graham Davis wrote:
> > Chris,
> >
> > Does this mean that I can't use a Kamap layer to overlay tiles on a
> > Google maps base layer?  Is a WMS layer the only layer type that
> > Openlayers can overlay ontop of a Google map?
>
> Yes.
>
> I don't know if it's possible to change the design to support other
> things. I'm glad to have people evaluate it. The 'reproject' switch that
> is in SVN is *not* actual reprojecting: instead, it simply stretches the
> tiles to request whatever the base map says is the correct tile to use
> for that location. For Google (for reasons I don't really understand)
> this is non-deterministic: If you set a different center, the tiles draw
> differently.
>
> The functionality you want doesn't exist for layers which don't accept
> arbitrary bounding boxes at the moment.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Christopher Schmidt
> MetaCarta

Dr Jon Blower              Tel: +44 118 378 5213 (direct line)
Technical Director         Tel: +44 118 378 8741 (ESSC)
Reading e-Science Centre   Fax: +44 118 378 6413
ESSC                       Email: jdb at mail.nerc-essc.ac.uk
University of Reading
3 Earley Gate
Reading RG6 6AL, UK