[OpenLayers-Users] generation of GML files

Tim Michelsen timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de
Fri Mar 16 14:11:44 EDT 2007

Hello,
I downloaded the latest opnelayers-files from SVN.

What I personally see as most exciting is the new development of vector
data overlay via GML:
openlayers/examples/gml-layer.html

To my thinking this could lead to a boost in the application of the OL
technology.

I have one question concerning the generation of GML-files:

How could I create these GML-files (see
driectoryopenlayers/examples/gml) from existing vectors that exist in my
GIS projects?

I investigated shortly into some tools which exist:

* I tried to export the "roads"-vector from Spearfish out of GRASS with
v.out.ogr. But the GML-file was not valid or lacing information: the
data couldn't be displayed when I set the above mentioned map to a full
extend.

* Openjump is not suitable for doing this conversion/export job since it
does write *.jml and not *.gml

* I also tried ogr2ogr with an arbitrary shape-file. But the file was
also invalid.

I hope someone could point me to a efficent way to create the GMT.

Thanks and greetings,
Tim