[OpenLayers-Users] different behaviour in IE and Firefox

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Mar 20 10:27:41 EDT 2007

On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 12:12:00PM +0000, gpio Oxxce wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am setting up a site with 3 base layers (GoogleMaps, VE and some geotiif)
> and some overlays (roads, poi etc)
>
> In the Firefox I can see the overlays above the selected base layer, BUT in the IE when I choose some overlay then the base layer disappears!

Internet Explorer 6 does not support alpha-transparent PNGs. If you are
using these, you will likely see a light blue/grey background in the
images. The best alternative is to switch to a GIF formatted image in
your situation (as far as I know).

There is a transparent image workaround, however, the performance in IE
is so slow with this option turned on as to be unusable. If you would
like to try it, you can add an 'alpha' option to your layer, set to
true.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta