[OpenLayers-Users] pan behaviour for WMS.Untiled

Schuyler Erle sderle at metacarta.com
Tue Mar 20 13:52:05 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 11:02 +0100, Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS) wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> when somebody drags outside of the map when panning (WMS.Untiled), part of
> the map stays white and does not update.
>
> In a tiled situation this does not occur.
>
> Is this intentional? Does anybody know a quick fix which will cause the map
> to update in this case?

Yes, the cancellation of the pan on mouse out was definitely intentional
-- a year ago, we thought it was the right thing to do. The reason why
is that if the mouse is off the map, then (I think) the map doesn't get
mouse up events. So you need to temporarily attach to the mouse up event
on the entire window in the mouse down handler if you want this behavior
to work the way you expect, and then detach again in the mouse up event
handler.

If anyone wants to implement this behavior in OL trunk, I would add it
to OpenLayers.Handler.Drag, and then Control.Navigation and
Control.NavToolbar will acquire the functionality automatically.

SDE