[OpenLayers-Users] Web Forum for OpenLayers

Jon Blower jdb at mail.nerc-essc.ac.uk
Wed Mar 28 10:27:34 EDT 2007

I second what John said.  A good search interface to the mailing list
would be much more useful than a forum to me.  Also, I've tried
running a forum and found that interest from users dwindled very
quickly, and the maintenance effort and spam filtering overtook the
benefit.  I now monitor precisely zero forums, but several mailing
lists.

I also agree with the argument about fracturing the community.  I
think it's good to have *one* place for users to post messages, then
another place (website/wiki) for collating information (e.g. FAQs that
really are FAQs).

Having said all that, the reason we are all on this mailing list is
presumably because we think the mailing list way of doing things is
valuable...

Jon

On 3/28/07, John Cole <john.cole at uai.com> wrote:
> -1 for forums, sorry.  Like Christopher, I tend not to monitor them closely,
> even with a Vista RSS widget on my desktop :-)  I do think there should be a
> really good searchable archive for the mailing list though, as I do like to
> from an obvious OL web page.
>
> John

Dr Jon Blower              Tel: +44 118 378 5213 (direct line)
Technical Director         Tel: +44 118 378 8741 (ESSC)
Reading e-Science Centre   Fax: +44 118 378 6413
ESSC                       Email: jdb at mail.nerc-essc.ac.uk
University of Reading
3 Earley Gate
Reading RG6 6AL, UK