[OpenLayers-Users] Web Forum for OpenLayers

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Mar 28 10:36:14 EDT 2007

On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 03:27:34PM +0100, Jon Blower wrote:
> I second what John said.  A good search interface to the mailing list
> would be much more useful than a forum to me.

I think that http://www.nabble.com/OpenLayers-Users-f15907.html meets
this need. If you can confirm/deny in your opinion whether this is the
case, I'd appreciate it.

> Also, I've tried
> running a forum and found that interest from users dwindled very
> quickly, and the maintenance effort and spam filtering overtook the
> benefit.  I now monitor precisely zero forums, but several mailing
> lists.

Agreed.

> I also agree with the argument about fracturing the community.  I
> think it's good to have *one* place for users to post messages, then
> another place (website/wiki) for collating information (e.g. FAQs that
> really are FAQs).

Right.

> Having said all that, the reason we are all on this mailing list is
> presumably because we think the mailing list way of doing things is
> valuable...

My hope is that users who are looking for a forum are currently using
the nabble URL above. If that is the case, they may be able to argue on
behalf of a more forum-like software via that medium.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta