[OpenLayers-Users] label truncation

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed May 23 13:40:49 EDT 2007

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 10:10:49AM -0600, Gregor Mosheh wrote:
> Hi, all.
> I'm running afoul of one of the more-well-known problems of tiling:
> labels are being cut off. What is the recommended method to get around this?
>
> The obvious one seems to be metatiling, in order to reduce the number of
> borders; the other is to increase the tile size for the same reason. But
> those don't guarantee against a label somewhere being cut off; just a
> reduction in its frequency.

"PARTIALS OFF"

This all depends entirely on your renderer. Mapnik doesn't have this
problem so long as you draw your tiles with a buffer, because label
placement is geographic. MapServer has "PARTIALS OFF", which turns off
partial label drawing. Other tools may have other settings to turn off
drawing of labels over tile boundaries.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta