[OpenLayers-Users] Newbie: accessing Arcweb data

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Tue Nov 6 09:42:18 EST 2007

Hi Stewart,
I'm not familiar with Arcwebservices, what kind of url's are you talking
about? Can you give an example?

Openlayers implements different kind of 'layers' for different kinds of
datasources. Some examples of current datasources: OGC-WMS, OGC-WFS,
Minnesota Mapserver, TMS, Google Maps, Virtual Earth, GML, KML, geoRSS
etc etc.
If you can make your webservice talk one of those 'dialects', it should
be possible to use Openlayers as a client for your service. If your
service uses a different protocol/standard, it's not trivial to
implement it.

In the examples directory
http://www.openlayers.org/dev/examples/
you can find some examples with different 'datasources', eg:
http://www.openlayers.org/dev/examples/multiserver.html

I think HTTPRequest is meant to be a base class for other layers which
use http-request: Grid extents HTTPRequest, WMS extends Grid etc.

Regards,
Richard Duivenvoorde