[OpenLayers-Users] status of OpenLayers.Layer.TileCache ?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Nov 20 22:14:57 EST 2007

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 08:10:29PM -0700, Gregor Mosheh wrote:
> Paul Spencer wrote:
> > TileCache is working for me.  Note that TileCache layers point to the
> > root directory of the actual disc cache of your tiles, not to the
> > TileCache cgi.
>
> Yup, got that. I was having some odd problems with the other layers
> (GeoRSS layers) vanishing and never returning. Are you using 2.5 or a
> SVN/CVS version? Cuz if "it works for you" in the 2.5 release, then I'll
> put more effort into debugging it.
>
> I'm looking forward to seeing Layer.TileCache in action. The "plain old
> file" requests will be very amenable to Apache's mod_mem_cache and I
> suspect that the performance in such conditions could be breathtaking.

You have seen http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/tilecache.html , right?

At some point, it's not how fast the server can get the tiles: it's how
much bandwidth you have to fetch them (and, to a sometimes much greater
extent, how big they are to begin with). Optimizing your images can
squeeze a lot more apparent speed out of the same server...

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta