[OpenLayers-Users] need help with projection issues

O. Baum oli.b at freenet.de
Mon Jan 14 11:06:44 EST 2008

Hello list,

I am new to OpenLayers and made my first attempts in using the
JavaScript API of Google Maps and OpenLayers 2.5 these days.

I want to draw vector graphics into the OpenLayers map. I have read
and understood basically that I have to follow
http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/SphericalMercator when I am using
Google Maps in OpenLayers together with a Vector layer. If I do so,
all coordinates I am going to use (including the one displayed by
OpenLayers.Control.MousePosition()) are not in Geo-Lat/Long format any
more, but in some other format (much bigger numbers) - these seems to
be the "projected coordinates" mentioned in
http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/RFC/ProjectionSupport.

What do I have to do to be able to use Geo-Lat/Long coordinates for
drawing on the Vector layer when I am using a Google Maps layer?

I have searched the project wiki already and studied documentation and
example code, but also in the spherical-mercator.html example only
projected coordinates are used.

I would appreciate if anyone could give me any hint on that issue.
Thank you for your help in advance.

With best regards,

   Oliver Baum