[OpenLayers-Users] Pink Tile Killing Me

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Jan 16 02:54:36 EST 2008

On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 04:31:36PM -0500, Lee Keel wrote:
> Well it turns out that I can not even use this as a smoke-and-mirrors work around because i have some layers that won't display at all.  Not even in ff.  When I use the URL from firebug, I am still getting the "The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers." error.  I currently have OpenLayers.IMAGE_RELOAD_ATTEMPTS = 5.  I have set it to as high as 20.  Any ideas.  I am really behind the 8 ball here.

I would like to point out that the IMAGE_RELOAD_ATTEMPTS will *only*
help if your failures are *transient* -- they will not help if the
server never returns a tile. If you have a pink tile, and you right
click to view it, and is still an error message, then reload_attempts
won't help you: the problem is that your server is returning an error.

It seems here like you're running into a mapserver crash. Check your
apache logs for any errors reported there, possibly turn up mapserver
debug to see if you can get some output, etc. In other words: debug your
server, and figure out why the URL seems to be reproducibly not
returning an image.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta