[OpenLayers-Users] KML/GML from text file?

Burgholzer,Robert rwburgholzer at deq.virginia.gov
Thu May 1 13:23:51 EDT 2008

Robert,

Thanks much for your reply.  While I did not go the route of manually
defining my GML based on your example, what your example did was jog my
memory: "where have I seen that before???" - mapserver WFS output of
course.  Since I have mapserver on my system, configured for WFS, I
simply loaded the WFS layer in an open layers shell, then copied the GET
for the layer in question out of the Firebug Console (thanks to a post
by Arnd Wipperman on an earlier thread), and voila, I had myself a
properly formatted GML file.

What's the use if I already have mapserver?  Well, I have a fairly
restrictive internet setup here, so I am not able to hit any of my
mapserv installs, so I am experimenting with an entirely OL approach,
since that is javascript and runs on the client. So far, I am very
encouraged!

Thanks again to Robert and Arnd for kicking the knowledge.

Robert W. Burgholzer

Surface Water Modeler

Office of Water Supply and Planning

rwburgholzer at deq.virginia.gov