[OpenLayers-Users] kml offline

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed May 7 15:33:08 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 01:16:36PM -0600, MilesTogoe wrote:
> Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> >On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 11:44:48AM -0600, MilesTogoe wrote:
> >
> >>Does the kml feature display all of the "new open" kml standard ?
> >>

> >No. Nor does i display all of *any* KML standard.
> >
> well I meant now that KML is a standard of the OGC (I didn't know if it
> changed from the Google code).

Right. The OpenLayers KML code hsa never supported 'all' (or even
'most') of any KML spec. KML is big. OpenLayers is a 2D geodata viewing
library. There is a lot that OpenLayers has no need to support, and a
significant amount of stuff that although it would make sense to
support, we don't.

That includes a number of 2.2 features, and a number of 2.1 features.
Since 2.2 is not backwards incompatible with 2.1, there isn't any change
in what OpenLayers supports in 2.2 docs, as far as I know.

> >>When I'm offline, the kml example seems to show a few polylines  but
> >>does not show all the polylines in the file and does not have the
> >>popups working (v 2.6)
> >>

> >You say 'the KML example'. Which one? There is no KML example with
> >polylines and popups, as far as I know.
> >
> well whatever you call this one:
> 41 KML Layer Example  kml-layer.html
> <http://www.openlayers.org/dev/examples/kml-layer.html>
>
> I thought lines.kml had a couple of popups.

It may, but that example doesn't do popups. The only KML example in
OpenLayers which does popups is the sundials.html example.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta