[OpenLayers-Users] Using Custom Cartography

Nathan Boettcher NathanB at lawtonprinting.com
Thu May 8 19:01:06 EDT 2008

New to the list and mapping (other than using software and navigation for
camping/hiking/etc).  I have special cartography that I would like to use
with OpenLayers but I am unsure exactly where to start.  At this point I
have a single file and I am not sure what program it comes out of.  I
currently use a custom solution that displays maps similar to OpenLayers and
Google, but without a WMS or TMS backend.  The maps are sliced in Photoshop
for different zoom levels.  What I would like to do is use something like a
WMS server or TileCache to serve tile sets of these maps via OpenLayers.
What I can't find for the life of me is direction on how to take these
custom maps and slice them up to work with TileCache or a WMS server.  I
found the mailing list post about the Avalon map and using TileChache which
is supposed to be able to do what I'm talking about, but currently I have
not had the opportunity to set up cgi on my webserver. (yes, it's IIS and
it's not my fault.wasn't my decision)

I would GREATLY appreciate any help or direction on how to take a single
large map (no GIS data or anything, just an image) and get it set up into a
TileCache or WMS server for use with OpenLayers.

Thanks in advance,

-Nathan