[OpenLayers-Users] Have I to use the GML-Layer to display the thumbnails of a GeoFeed?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Nov 25 10:52:52 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 07:48:18AM -0800, crinolium wrote:

> I've looked at the example "GeoRSS from Flickr". And I was wondering why the
> GeoRSS-Feed is displayed by a GML-Layer and not by a GeoRSS-Layer. Someone
> can explain it to me?
>
> If I try to make the example with a GeoRSS-Layer, I get markers instead of
> thumbnails. Can I change the display options to see thumbnails? How can I do
> this?
> Or perhaps this is the reason why I have to use the GML-Layer??

Yes. The GeoRSS layer is designed to do one specific thing -- display
markers on a map with ppups. the GML Layer has the ability to use the
GeoRSS format, and use the full support of vector styling -- clearly
much more complete than the default behavior of a georss layer -- and
therefore, if you want the functionality in this example, you shuld use
a Layer.GML.

Note that Layer.GML is really not at all about GML: instead, it is aa
layer which downloads one file and treats it as a set of vectors. This
should really be called something like "Layer.Vector.Fixed", rather than
Layer.GML, but hindsight is 20/20.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta