[OpenLayers-Users] Snap Marker to Polyline / Import timestamps from GPX

otternase m.havemann at gmx.de
Wed Sep 3 09:36:31 EDT 2008

Hello

I have a problem which is somewhat complex and being new to OpenLayers I
don't really know how to start...

The task is this:

1) init:
- showing this trace as a polyline on a map
- adding a marker at the starting point of the trace

2) functionality
A:
- the user should be able to drag the marker, but not to every position on
the map position, but only along the polyline to one of the vertices of the
trace
- after dragend the GPS-timestamp of the vertex the marker is now positioned
on shall be written to a div-field
B:
- the user should be able to commit a timecode through a form and then the
marker will be moved to the first vertex with a timestamp latter than the
user-given time

The two most important (and most difficult) questions:
- how do limit the dragging of a marker to a set of points (snap the marker
position to the point closest to the mouseposition while dragging)
- how do I handle the timestamp information from GPX-files as an attribute
of a polyline vertex?

Thanks a lot for your help
Markus Havemann