[OpenLayers-Users] KML / Vector Performance

Frank Broniewski brfr at metrico.lu
Fri Sep 12 03:29:03 EDT 2008

Hi List,

I have a question regarding the use of vector data in KML. I am planning to
use KML data to display routes I am frequently travelling.

Now the question that bothers me is how to arrange my data. Can I just put all
my routes into one KML file and Openlayers just renders the routes in the
current map extent? Same question with locations.
Or is it better to have just the data for the intented map extent in a file
because openlayers draws everything in the file despite not being displayed
in the current map extent?

I guess the same is true for WFS data, as the same rendering engine is used?

Many thanks for some enlightenment.

Frank