[OpenLayers-Users] What is the relationship between zoom level and longitude/latitude

Adrian Popa adrian_gh.popa at romtelecom.ro
Fri Aug 7 05:01:44 EDT 2009

Hello everybody.

I'm trying to zoom to view an area for which I have the minimum and
maximum longitude/latitude. Basically I would like to zoom in to see a
rectangle with known coordinates. I already calculated the center of
this rectangle - so that's not a problem - the map centers beautifully
to that.

The problem is: I have to find out which minimum zoom setting would
allow my area to be fully visible - so I need to choose a zoom setting.
There must be a relationship between the difference in longitude (or
latitude) to a zoom level.

I wonder if anyone knows this relationship - or should I determine it
empirically.

Thank you.

By the way, my map is using spherical mercator projection, but my
coordinates are in longitude/latitude (although there is no problem in
converting them...).

--
---
Adrian Popa