[OpenLayers-Users] IE strategies

Andreas Hocevar ahocevar at opengeo.org
Wed Jan 7 13:56:00 EST 2009

Yves Moisan wrote:]
>> Might the Hover to a WMS server work then?
>>

> Thanx for the suggestion.  It's still a trip to the server and I find it
> foolish to be required to turn features into a WMS.

Why that? Features can be handled much more efficient by the server than
by the client.

You may want to have a look at [1]. This example uses the WFSGetFeature
control which OpenGeo is about to contribute to OpenLayers. You can see
that the features are loaded on hover, and selected on click. The extra
server trip is not too expensive, since it will only be triggered when
the mouse pointer stops for a configurable amount of milliseconds.

Regards,
Andreas.

[1] http://dev.openlayers.org/sandbox/topp/wfs/examples/wfs-getfeature.html

--