[OpenLayers-Users] IE strategies

Yves Moisan yves.moisan at boreal-is.com
Wed Jan 7 16:03:06 EST 2009

> Why that? Features can be handled much more efficient by the server than
> by the client.

Right.  Maybe it's me but I find it clumsy to do a WMS GetFeatureInfo.
You're never sure what features you get results from if there are a
bunch of features.  For example, you cannot easily highlight features.
Sending a request to get a new image back with the feature(s)
highlighted together with the feature(s) info just feels awkward.

> You may want to have a look at [1]. This example uses the WFSGetFeature
> control which OpenGeo is about to contribute to OpenLayers. You can see
> that the features are loaded on hover, and selected on click. The extra
> server trip is not too expensive, since it will only be triggered when
> the mouse pointer stops for a configurable amount of milliseconds.

I'll have a look thanx.  In the meantime I found out that the clustering
strategy in OL is not that slow after all.  The thing is I had a very
small BBOX in which I had 1000 features that had to be processed into
clusters.  I found that zooming far out allowed me to get 1 or very few
clusters to render quickly so the trick I believe would be to have an
effective maxFeatures param at specified zoom levels.

Thanx again,

Yves