[OpenLayers-Users] IE strategies

Andreas Hocevar ahocevar at opengeo.org
Wed Jan 7 17:48:36 EST 2009

Yves Moisan wrote:

>> Why that? Features can be handled much more efficient by the server than
>> by the client.
>>

> Right.  Maybe it's me but I find it clumsy to do a WMS GetFeatureInfo.
> You're never sure what features you get results from if there are a
> bunch of features.

The mentioned WFSGetFeature control does WFS GetFeature and not WMS
GetFeatureInfo, and also takes measures to only return the best matching
feature when you click on the map. If you drag a box, it will return all
features that intersect the box.

>   For example, you cannot easily highlight features.
> Sending a request to get a new image back with the feature(s)
> highlighted together with the feature(s) info just feels awkward.

If your use case involves highlighting only up to ~100 features, you can
just load the features to be highlighted using the WFSGetFeature control
and display them on a vector layer overlaying the WMS layer (see the
example in my previous post, which does exactly that). If you have more
features to highlight, you may indeed run into trouble, because
rendering them as vector features will be slow.

Regards,
Andreas.

--
Andreas Hocevar