[OpenLayers-Users] OpenLayers Book

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Tue Jan 13 16:01:41 EST 2009

Hey-

Bill Thoen wrote:
> If we could get enough commitments at say, $45 each or more, then maybe
> there would be enough to pay the developers to put a technical writer to
> work on some electronic documentation that has more detail than the
> current short scope works and robo-generated stuff. I'm thinking of the
> same model for writing documentation that the OS community uses for
> getting code written -- i.e. sponsoring someone competent to do the work
> on contract. My guess is that because OpenLayers is still evolving so
> fast that it would be hard to convince a publisher that a printed book
> would pay for itself before it went out of date and people stopped
> buying it. But a digital version that fills in the gaps and presents the
> topics in book-scope detail would be a good first step and is probably a
> feasible goal. An e-doc could also evolve as fast as the code does
> because bits are more flexible than atoms.

I think this is a good idea.  As with other ideas, it will take someone
to organize things, generate interest, bug people for money, etc. to get
anything done.

I don't think we should take it upon ourselves to waste beautiful
Saturdays generating documentation for free (person opinion).

So, please continue trying to generate interest (and money).  And don't
waste too many Saturdays doing it.  I'd say a $500 sponsorship would be
enough to convince a few power users/devs to spend some off time on docs
(especially if it is raining).

Tim

> In the meanwhile, it'd be great if those who know how the system works
> would add pages to the wiki -- or even just an outline of what us
> newbies and knowlessmen want/need so that when we can inspire a
> technical writer to do some open source docs development for us that
> there's a framework ready to write the book.
>
> Derek Watling wrote:
>> I would definately buy such a book. Preferably something in a tutorial form
>> that starts with a simple map and then adds advanced features and
>> customisation of the map. A section on TileCache would also be appreciated,
>> or am I just pushing my luck =)
>>

>> Kenny France wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Guys,
>>>

>>> Who on the list would like to purchase a book on Openlayers?
>>>

>>> I know I would ;)
>>>

>>> Let’s see how much response there is and MAYBE Chris / the open layers
>>> team
>>> would write one
>>>

>>> Kenny
>>>

>>> PS: if you guys do, Please remember me in the credits
>>>

>>>   _____
>>>
>>> I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for home users.
>>> SPAMfighter has removed 2129 spam emails to date.
>>> Paying users do not have this message in their emails.
>>> Try SPAMfighter <http://www.spamfighter.com/len>  for free now!

Tim Schaub
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org