[OpenLayers-Users] OpenLayers Book

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Jan 13 17:49:25 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 02:31:14PM -0800, Chip Taylor wrote:
> Just curious about your statement "I don't think we should take it upon
> ourselves to waste beautiful Saturdays generating documentation for free
> (person opinion)."  Why would you "waste your beautiful Saturdays"
> generating code for free then?

I think the same sentiment applies to code. The idea is that there
should not be an expectation from the community that all this hard work
comes for free -- a sentiment that many seem to express. (In fact, this

>  Open Source is cool, Open Source is fun but
> there has to be a reason for a person to make that effort to develop the
> software.  Most times that reason is the pride in a job well done and the
> appreciation one feels when you see your efforts being used.

And sometimes, it needs to be more than that. In other words, "If you
really love the software, support it: financially, documentation wise,
code wise, or whatever, rather than expecting things to magically happen
from the people who have supported the project in the past."

I can't speak for Tim directly here, but that is the impression I get.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta