[OpenLayers-Users] How to know the area of polygons falling under a circle?

Jatin Ambasana jatin.a at iworktech.com
Fri Jan 16 07:37:24 EST 2009

Hello Everyone,

We are using 2 layers on our map.
First layer is created using a map file and using Mapserver.
Second layer is having same shape as the 1st layer since it is created from
the gml file that I got after converting the shape to gml.

Now I am creating the second layer using OpenLayers.Layer.GML class so that
I can apply SLD to it and use it as the layer to do selection of polygons
created on the layer.
User is able to select the polygons on clicking and also able to get the
information from the selected polygons like... featureid.

We needed a functionality where in I could draw a circle on the map and
determine which polygons fall under that circle.

I am able to draw the circle right now.
I came to know that I can do the comparison using the intersects() method of
polygon but, that just gives me which polygons intersect and which don't.

*What we needed was to know that how much area of the polygons from second
layer (the one created using gml) was covered under the circle. Also along
with that which polygons were covered under the circle.*

Is there any method of doing so....?

Can anyone give some suggestions or ideas....

Thanks in advance....

Jatin Ambasana
iWork Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
Mobile:+91-9765394718