[OpenLayers-Users] Another Cursored Question

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Thu Jul 2 15:08:49 EDT 2009

I noticed in Bart's explanation on how to use the new cursor features in
2.8, that there are CSS styles that appear to use two *.cur files, which
implies that we can use multiple cursors for different stages in a mouse
operation, but also that we can use _custom_ cursors (beyond the small
standard set you get in JavaScript). Here's an example of what I mean:

.olControlZoomBoxActive {
    cursor: url(lib/openlayers/theme/default/img/zoomin.cur) 9 9,
url(../geoservices2.2/lib/openlayers/theme/default/img/zoomin.cur),
auto;
}

The zoom box tool has two cursor states (moving and dragging) so it
makes sense that you would need to be able to specify two cursor images.
I'm guessing that the two urls here are doing just that. The 9 9
coordinates are the hotspot on the first cursor I suppose too.
Unfortunately, the new OpenLayers doesn't include any *.cur files in the
distribution, despite what it looks like here.

But I'd like to learn a bit more about OpenLayers cursors. Like, for
instance, are those .CUR cursor files cross-browser compatible? Are
there any public examples of maps that use the new cursor features yet?
Is there any documentation, technical specs or examples on using cursors
available to the public or does the code speak for itself (as is so
often the case). I've searched the web site and wiki, but haven't found
anything on this topic yet. So before I go spelunking around in the
source code, I'm hoping someone can point me to what I'm looking for.

- Bill Thoen