[OpenLayers-Users] OpenLayers Map for Whitehouse.gov and America.gov: Performance Suggestions

Darren Krape darren at krape.com
Sat Jul 11 15:20:02 EDT 2009

Hi Everyone,

We just put together an OpenLayers-based map for the Whitehouse and
America.gov highlighting messages from the President's recent trip to Ghana:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/mediaresources/Ghana-SMSMap/

Unfortunately, the performance isn't as good as I'd like. When adding a new
marker and panning to it, things sometimes seize up a bit and there are
occasionally brief visual errors (such as the div inside the popup looking
as if it is lagging behind the rest of the message when panning).

Strangely, it seems worse on the Whitehouse server than when it is hosted on
my development server. The code is the same and there is no database
interaction, so I would imagine the performance should be the same. The only
different I can see is on WH.gov, it is in an iframe.

Are there any guides to improving performance?

A few of my thoughts:
- Using moveTo instead of panTo does help, but we really like the panning
look
- The popups are fairly custom, so reverting to the less flexible default
one may help
- Caching the background images

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Best,
Darren