[OpenLayers-Users] Overriding overlay select to force a reload of the toggled layer

Adrian Popa adrian_gh.popa at romtelecom.ro
Wed Jul 15 02:27:17 EDT 2009

Hi everybody,

I have several overlay vector layers that get their data in KML format
from some server-side scripts. The data is highly dynamic, so it needs
to be refreshed constantly (this is solved). The problem appears if only
one overlay layer is selected (visible), I need to refresh all overlay
layers so that if the user toggles another overlay, he will have the
most recent data. I would like to reduce the overhead on the server and
client side and only refresh the visible overlay layers, and to force a
refresh of a layer whenever the user makes it visible. For this I would
have to override the function that runs when a layer is selected in the
layer switcher and call another refresh function before the layer is
made visible. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

P.S. I would like to do this without editing the openlayers code;
instead I would like to override/overload the function for my objects only.

Thanks,
Adrian