[OpenLayers-Users] problem w/ WMS Layer using wrapDateLine and displaying a feature which crosses the dateline

Matthew Doyle M.Doyle at bom.gov.au
Wed Jul 15 21:01:05 EDT 2009

Hello John,

I don't have an easy solution for you, but i'd like to point out that i was
also having great difficulty with this some months ago. So much so, that i
ended up reprojecting my entire map 90 degrees to the west (essentially
moving the real dateline) so that nothing crossed the OpenLayers boundary
and hence avoided using the wrapDateLine=true option. This has proved to be
a pain since any new data needs to be manually shifted, not to mention the
on-the-fly calculations i need to do for all vector points and longitude
numbers which are user-facing.

A simple search of this usergroup will suggest that support for maps that
wrap at the international dateline is quite poor. A lot of other users have
had difficulty with this too, especially when using vectors which cross the
line or appear either side of the line - causing them to either fail, or
display only on one side at a time.

I'd be interested to know if there is any scope for further development in
improving the support for maps (WMS/WFS/Vector) which need to cross the
international dateline.  I feel this is the only agenda left which is
leaving OpenLayers lagging behind it's rival tools.

Best regards,
Matt