[OpenLayers-Users] please some hints for very low bandwith

Ivan Grcic igrcic at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 06:01:09 EDT 2009

Hi Pere,

yes tiled is much better choice. For untiled thers one param called ratio,
check it out.

About buffer, I think that 0 and 1 values are the same. That means that you
always have to get some tiles more then you actually area is, because its
never the case that extents of tiles fits excatly in extens of the map...so
wont be 4 but 6 ;)

cheers

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 8:10 PM, Pere Roca Ristol <peroc79 at gmail.com> wrote:

>  hi all,
>  I need some hints to take into account when having a veeery low bandwith.
>  I have already set up background layers as PNG8 (jpeg does't accept
> transparency) and vectorial as jpeg.
>
>  I wonder if in these situations tiling is better than normal WMS (?)
>  Currently I  have an untiled layer. The "map" is 800x350. I wonder why the
> generated untiled image
>  is 1200x525; I know Openlayers creates a buffer on tiles, but it also is
> applied on untiled layers?
>
>   If tiling is better than Untiled (taking into account low bandwith as
> critical factor) I  want to keep the number of tiles to minimum. So, I
> don't
> want any buffer. I set layer like this:
>
>             var admin = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS( "my WMS",
>                "http://mywms/wms",
>                {layers: 'mylayer',transparent:"true",styles:'mystyle'"}
>                                ,{'displayInLayerSwitcher':false,tileSize:
> new OpenLayers.Size(400,175),
> buffer: 0});
>
>    but instead of getting 4 tiles I continue getting 6 (2 of them covering
> out of BBOX); have also tried buffer:1 without success
>
>    thanks in advance,
>    Pere

Ivan Grcic