[OpenLayers-Users] Vector-like feature interaction with large, complex layers

Roald de Wit roald.dewit at lisasoft.com
Fri Jun 5 20:16:50 EDT 2009

Hi Tom,

When your geometries are too many or too complex (or both) you need to
compromise somewhere.
There are 2 more approaches you can take:

1) Use an approach similar to what Eric mentioned. Use a WMS layer, but
on hover send a request to the server to get the id (and possible other
attributes) of the feature 'under' the click and then another WMS
request using that id to only draw that feature with a different style
(to mimic highlighting) and draw that over the other WMS layer. This is
not as responsive as 'real' features but works.

2) You can put FeatureServer [1] in between your client and your service
and tell FS to simplify the geometries based on your zoomlevel (or
resolution to be precise). FS can do some processing like simplify,
buffer, etc. This approach works quite well, but *only* for simplifying
the geometries (reducing the amount of vertices), not for reducing the
amount of geometries. If you have too many geometries to show, you'd
still need to revert to WMS

Does this help?

Regards, Roald