[OpenLayers-Users] Open Spaces

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Jun 11 09:55:58 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 10:10:36PM +0100, Peter Robins wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 Jun 2009, Tom (JDi Solutions) wrote:
> > Are there any plans to add Open Spaces services to the Open Layers API?
>
> why would you want that? The OS tiles are set up as a WMS which you can read
> with OL just like any other WMS - although you need a valid key to access.

Er, "Tiles" and "WMS" are not typically synonmous -- and I don't believe
the Open Space data is available as a WMS. In any case, convenience
functionality for loading Open Space tiles makes about the same amount
of sense as a layer for accessing OpenStreetMap data -- and the latter
is included in 2.8.

> The OpenSpace api is based on OL (as is the French IGN's api), and released
> under a BSD licence, so you can change it if you want.

Can you give a link to this for the OSOS code? I looked and did not find
it. Perhaps this is a recent change.

> There's nothing in the
> OpenSpace T&C that says you have to use their api to access the OpenSpace
> services.

Can you provide some evidence of that? Using the tiles for a Google
Earth application recently received a take down notice from them, no?

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta