[OpenLayers-Users] Open Spaces

Peter Robins openlayers at peterrobins.co.uk
Thu Jun 11 16:46:53 EDT 2009

On Thursday 11 Jun 2009, Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> Er, "Tiles" and "WMS" are not typically synonmous -- and I don't believe
> the Open Space data is available as a WMS.

are we talking at cross-purposes? They have 3 types of 'data' - gazetteer
search, postcode search, boundary vectors - which are, of course, not wms.
But the map rasters are on a tileserver accessed using standard wms params -
they use Layer.WMS - tho it's not a full-blown wms; no capabilities, fixed
resolutions, only one projection, and only one tilesize (actually, there's 2,
depending on the resolution, which complicates matters).

> Can you give a link to this for the OSOS code?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/osgbwebmaptools/
which is basically the software they use to set up OpenSpace, released to
allow those with OS licences, like local governments, to display their
OS-based data. They released a new version of OpenSpace last month, and this
is not (yet?) reflected in the maptools, which has the OpenSpace api version
from Jan last year.

> > There's nothing in the
> > OpenSpace T&C that says you have to use their api to access the OpenSpace
> > services.
>
> Can you provide some evidence of that?

http://openspace.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/openspace/developeragreement
(I just read through again to check they haven't changed anything in the
meantime :-) )

> Using the tiles for a Google
> Earth application recently received a take down notice from them, no?

meaning Gavin Brock's?
http://www.brock-family.org/gavin/google-earth/osmaps.html
That's not to do with whether you use their api or not.