[OpenLayers-Users] Another "Can OpenLayers do this?" question

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Mar 4 12:44:10 EST 2009

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 11:41:21AM -0600, Ken Martin wrote:
> On Mar 4, 2009, at 8:37 AM, Jeff Hoffmann wrote:
>
> > I think you're looking for the untiled WMS layers.  If you're
> > serving your raster data from either MapServer or some other WMS
> > server, that should do what you want.
>
> Yeah, the server I have to work with can only understand requests for
> width, height, center-lat-lon... that's my struggle.

Presumably, there is a fourth parameter here, to describe the
area-covered or zoom level or something similar.

If you shared an example request, it might be possible to help a bit
more. My guess is that what you want is a WMS layer, with untiled set,
and then an overridden getURL as is sort of described here, though for a
different reason:

  http://docs.openlayers.org/library/spherical_mercator#custom-tiles

> I'm hoping to do
> something like "user finished dragging, and he moved this much, so I
> need this new width, height, center-lat-lon image to cover the whole
> frame".
>
> Thanks! :)
>
> Ken Martin

Christopher Schmidt