[OpenLayers-Users] OpenLayers.Layer.WMS and OpenLayers.Layer.MapServer - variable substitution?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Sun Mar 15 00:29:49 EDT 2009

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 09:46:47AM +0700, Ben Madin wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I wonder if you can help me then,
>
> On 13/03/2009, at 9:08 PM, Christopher Schmidt wrote: # apologies if I
> have cut this out incorrectly...

> I have a mapserver layer, and it is using dates from the html page
> (start & end) as parameters for the postgis query of points.
>
> in  my mapserver layer, I use the %start% & %end% variable
> substitution to only capture the points in the window I am interested
> in.
>
> I looked at the above advice, but I can't get the same substitution to
> work using the WMS setup.

The WMS layer capitalizes all key names, so you can change it to
"%START%" and it will work.

> Should I be able to do this, am I missing something, or is there
> another way around doing this?
>
> Or is this a good example of continuing to use mapserver?

If you have need for "?start=" to work instead of ?START=, then you
would need MapServer to continue to be able to do that. If you don't
need that, or you can change other clients, then you could use a
Layer.WMS and change your mapfile.

-- Chris

--
Christopher Schmidt