[OpenLayers-Users] Markers that are too close to distinguish

Craig Stanton c.stanton at niwa.co.nz
Mon Mar 16 22:57:12 EDT 2009

Hi All,
    I'm trying to display a load of points (ranging from 5-2000 depending on user prefs) across New Zealand and many of them end up very close to another one. So close that you'd have to zoom in well below the level that the baselayer becomes a blur before being able to tell them apart. I like the way Google Earth in all it's 3D goodness smoothly separates coincident markers but I've been searching for a while and seen no such solution for any web based mapping tool. It seems like something others would come across too and I'd rather not write something to recalculate the marks at each zoom, grouping them together as the user zooms out. Has anyone here dealt with this problem and found a good solution?

Cheers,
    Craig