[OpenLayers-Users] difference between OpenLayers.Layer.WMS and OpenLayers.Layer.MapServer?

Paul Spencer pagameba at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 07:26:21 EDT 2009

I disagree that WMS is more performant, secure and robust than the
mapserv CGI.  In fact, WMS is less performant due to some outstanding
performance issues with the PROJ library and EPSG code lookups (see http://blog.cleverelephant.ca/2009/03/sprint-day-3.html
  for some details on upcoming changes that might eliminate this
particular problem).

Can you explain why you think there is more inherent security and
robustness in WMS vs CGI?

Paul