[OpenLayers-Users] difference between OpenLayers.Layer.WMS and OpenLayers.Layer.MapServer?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Mar 18 10:03:06 EDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 07:26:21AM -0400, Paul Spencer wrote:
> I disagree that WMS is more performant, secure and robust than the
> mapserv CGI.  In fact, WMS is less performant due to some outstanding
> performance issues with the PROJ library and EPSG code lookups (see http://blog.cleverelephant.ca/2009/03/sprint-day-3.html
>   for some details on upcoming changes that might eliminate this
> particular problem).
>
> Can you explain why you think there is more inherent security and
> robustness in WMS vs CGI?

I don't claim security or anything else, but WMS can be debugged without
access to the mapfile, because the units, SRS, etc. are provided as part
of the URL. In CGI, this is all based on information in the mapfile, and
makes debugging hell for users -- it's too easy to muff up the
OpenLayers configuration and not know why you're getting strange
results.

-- Chris

> Paul
>
> On 13-Mar-09, at 3:25 AM, Guillaume Sueur wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > The first one uses WMS and the second one is directly hitting the
> > mapfile. For performance, security, robustness and so I would
> > suggest to
> > use WMS, but if you don't care about all these (and you can) just use
> > .MapServer and use it like your old cgi buddy !
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Guillaume
> >
> > MeLv1n wAuRaN a écrit :
> >> hi all,
> >>
> >> what's the difference between OpenLayers.Layer.WMS and
> >> OpenLayers.Layer.MapServer? i'm using a mapserver cgi to render my
> >> mapfile. so, which one should i use? the wms or the mapserver?

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta