[OpenLayers-Users] Geometry.Collection update fails

2StepForward kwegezeder at web.de
Mon Mar 30 05:31:54 EDT 2009

Hello List,

I have a problem where I don't know is its a OpenLayers thing, or more on GeoServer side. So I will post it here because the beginning of the problem should be in the OpenLayers.
Problem is: I could not update my geometry entries over OpenLayers.

My system is OL 2.7, GeoServer 1.6.3 and Oracle 10g.

I have some Geometry.Collections which are a bundle of some polygons and other geometry objects. There are stored in the Oracle 10g database as SDO_GEOMETRY-type: 2004, which meens a collection of geometries.

The draw of the collections over OL are work fine, but the update after some modifications are run into a error.

What I have found out is, that the gml writer in the base.js writes out a gml tag of "gml:GeometryCollection", but if I had read in the gml specification that gml defines only a MultiGeometry.
About this happenings the GeoServer writes out in his log-file that the "gml:GeometryCollection" could not parse:

2009-03-30 10:43:58,150 DEBUG [org.geotools.xml] - Could not find declaration for: {http://www.opengis.net/gml}GeometryCollection. Checking if containing type declares a single particle.
2009-03-30 10:43:58,151 DEBUG [org.geotools.xml] - Could not find declaration for: {http://www.opengis.net/gml}GeometryCollection. Performing lookup by ignoring namespace
2009-03-30 10:43:58,151 DEBUG [org.geotools.xml] - Could not find declaration for: {http://www.opengis.net/gml}GeometryCollection. Creating a mock element declaration and parsing anyways...

I have tried to change the gml tag in the writer to "gml:MultiGeometry" now the parser works fine:

2009-03-30 10:00:29,217 TRACE [org.geotools.xml] - startElement(http://www.opengis.net/gml,MultiGeometry,gml:MultiGeometry
2009-03-30 10:00:29,217 TRACE [org.geotools.xml] - startElement(http://www.opengis.net/gml,geometryMember,gml:geometryMember
2009-03-30 10:00:29,218 TRACE [org.geotools.xml] - startElement(http://www.opengis.net/gml,Polygon,gml:Polygon

and so on......

but I get a new error:

org.geoserver.wfs.WFSException: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: This method does not support GeometryCollection arguments

I don't know what is wrong. The "gml:GeometryCollection" definition into the writer, or what happenings something are wrong. Is it a known problem, or only a missunderstanding of the workflow by my side?

Thanks 2StepForward