[OpenLayers-Users] Can't Convert Coordinates to Picels and Back Again

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Fri May 1 17:10:47 EDT 2009

Just trying to debug a box drawing routine, I got this error:

*this.getViewPortPxFromLonLat is not a function*

on Line #746 in file: http://mydomain.com/ol/OpenLayers.js

What I did to produce it was this (I'm just taking a valid coordinate,
converting it to a pixel and the trying to convert that pixel back to
the original coordinate):
   var swpx = new map.getPixelFromLonLat( 2160077, 1575258 );
   alert ( swpx.x + " " + swpx.y );
   var sw = new map.getLonLatFromPixel( swpx );
   alert( sw.x +" " + sw.y );

I'm using Colorado State Plane (ESPG 2232) and the map seems to be
working just fine. The only weird problem is this happening deep in the
OL code out of my reach, and I don't know why it's happening. I'm using
OL 2.7.*
*

What am I not doing right here? Although the function says LonLat, the
docs say x,y, so I assume that I can use these functions on projected
coordinates... but maybe not?

- Bill Thoen